On Monday 13 October the House of Commons will debate an important motion calling on the Government to recognise the state of Palestine. The motion to be debated and, crucially, voted upon, by MPs states:
“That this House believes that the Government should recognise the state of Palestine alongside the state of Israel.”
Support for statehood recognition – Labour:
- Palestinian statehood has been acknowledged as a ‘right’ by the Labour leadership with shadow foreign secretary Douglas Alexander saying: “Palestinian statehood is not a gift to be given, but a right to be recognised”.
- More recently, Labour party leader Ed Miliband spoke on the subject in his leader’s address at party conference this year saying that he would“fight with every fibre of my being to get the two state solution, two states for two people, Israel and a Palestinian state living side by side”.
Support for statehood recognition – Conservative:
- The Conservative Middle East Council has also supported recognition for the state of Palestine both at the time of the UN vote in 2011 and more recently, in a letter published in the Daily Telegraph.
- Moreover, in an op-ed piece in the Daily Telegraph, the UK’s Consul-General in Jerusalem 2010-2014,Sir Vincent Fean, wrote of the historic and primary responsibility the UK bears in recognising Palestine. He wrote, “Britain is uniquely placed to give a lead by recognising Palestine now, just as we recognised Israel in 1950. Where we lead, Europe will follow – and there is urgency.”
Support for statehood recognition – Liberal Democrats:
Lib Dems have urged tougher action on settlements, arms sales and on EU relations with Israel since entering Government. Senior LD MPs are said to be pushing for a policy on recognition.
What you must do:
- Visit your MP at his/her weekly surgery and tell him/her that you want them to vote in favour of the motion for debate on Monday 13 October to recognise the state of Palestine. Remember there are only a few days remaining before the vote, so you must visit your local MP’s surgery meeting soon.
- Click on the link to send your MP an email detailing why you want him/her to support the motion. Feel free to use some of your text above in this email to make your case. Link here.
- Share the link with your family and friends on social media and urge them to act on it and send the letter to their MP – together we can make this happen.