Senior Policy Analyst
Hours: 40 per week
Salary: £25,000 - 30,000
We are looking for an enthusiastic team player with excellent written skills and a proven research portfolio to join our dynamic team at our London office. You will be an essential part of the Policy team and contribute to producing high quality analysis and research regarding the contributions of British Muslims and the challenges that face Muslim communities.
Specifically, you will be involved in a variety of projects surrounding issues such as:
- Media output on Islam and Muslims.
- Islamophobia, hate crime, and religiously motivated discrimination.
- Policy development surrounding integration, social cohesion and religion in society.
- Politically motivated violence and measures to prevent it.
- Encouraging the active engagement of British Muslims in political and media institutions.
- Writing analysis and news articles on current affairs.
- Preparing submissions for governmental inquiries and the UN.
- Summarising reports, bills, and green papers.
- Designing and conducting original research projects.
- Developing and preparing educational materials and courses designed to empower communities.
- Conducting qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis.
- Identifying potential sources of funding.
- Writing proposals for funding bids.
- Preparing oral and/or visual presentations for speaking engagements.
- Contributing to organisational campaign strategies in response to current affairs.
- Other duties and responsibilities which are not outlined above but which are consistent with the role.
This is a great opportunity for an early career researcher to make an impact in a fast expanding organisation that is passionate about improving Muslim participation in media and politics.
The candidate will be required to have an expertise and deep understanding of debates and issues surrounding the following areas:
- Islamophobia, hate crime, and racial and religious equality.
- British Muslims in education.
- The representation of Muslims and minorities in the media.
- Muslims in the labour market.
- Crime, policing, and minority communities.
- Factors influencing patterns of political engagement and exclusion.
- Religious and cultural rights.
- A Masters degree in a relevant subject area.
- First or upper second class undergraduate degree in a relevant subject area.
- Excellent IT skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Evidence of written skills.
- Research skills in quantitative and qualitative analysis.
- Demonstrable creative approaches to problem solving.
- A research portfolio in a relevant field to the role.
- Evidence of producing materials such as reports, research papers, articles and/or policy documents
- A PhD in a relevant field to the role.
- Experience of working with Islamic organisations in the UK.
- An understanding of the political and media landscape of the UK.
- A willingness to occasionally travel throughout the UK.
- Experience in submitting funding proposals.
- Previous experience in the sphere of policy and advocacy work.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills.
- The ability to work with a high degree of autonomy and independence.
- Strong commitment to equality and a deep passion for the values and objectives of MEND.
- An understanding of Muslim culture in the UK.
- Possessing a passion for media, politics, research, promoting political engagement, and tackling inequalities.
- A deep appreciation for the relationship between research and policy.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
To apply (or for more information), please:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject as ‘Job Application – Senior Policy Analyst’.
- attach your CV and cover letter stating why you are suitable for the role.
- anonymise your CV & cover letter as part of our ongoing efforts to ensure unbiased shortlisting for interview.
Closing date for applications: Sunday 6th January 2019 (midnight)
We regret, only candidates shortlisted for interview will be contacted.