Search Donate

Show results for
  • News
  • Videos
  • Action Alerts
  • Events
  • Resources
  • MEND

Tory candidate suspended for alleged anti-Muslim tweets

Tory candidate suspended for alleged anti-Muslim tweets

Categories: Latest News

Monday March 20 2017

The Daily Record reported on 20 March that a Conservative election candidate was suspended for allegedly posting anti-Islamic messages on her Twitter account on 28 February. 30-year-old Roxana Iancu was accused of posting a picture of a coin with the caption “This 2000 year old coin says Israel on it,” followed by the statement “No sign of so-called Palestine. Say something w******.” Ms. Iancu was due to stand for the Conservatives at Glasgow city council’s Govan ward during elections in May 2017. However, she was told by the Glasgow Conservative association that she was to be deselected and suspended.

Ms. Iancu insisted that she did not post the comment, and that she had many Muslim friends and that she respected them “and all religions.” She has also campaigned against anti-Semitism. However the Conservative Party has reportedly stood by their belief that the tweet came from her, with a spokesman describing it as “unacceptable and offensive.” Ms. Iancu is reportedly exploring whether she can stand for the election as an independent candidate.

The news comes 10 days after another Tory candidate in Scotland was accused of publishing offensive comments on his Facebook account. George McIntyre was due to stand for the Conservatives in local elections in May in the Midlothian ward, but was suspended by the party after it was revealed that in October 2013 he had posted an online rant claiming that, among other things, Muslims concerned about the presence of pork in anti-flu vaccines should stop “whinging” and move to another country. A party spokesman said that the comments were “clearly unacceptable,” and that he had been suspended with “immediate effect.” However, the Scottish National Party raised questions over the rigorousness of the Conservatives’ vetting procedures and suggested it was inappropriate for Mr. McIntyre to have been allowed to stand as a council candidate at all.

Newsletter

Sign up for our email newsletter

Get all the latest news from MEND straight to your inbox. Sign up to our email newsletter for regular updates and events information