MEND (Muslim Engagement & Development) is a not for profit company working towards enhancing the active engagement of British Muslim communities in our national life, particularly in the fields of politics and the media.
MEND aims to achieve this by:
- Running seminars for Muslims on how to engage productively with the media and politics
- Training Muslims to effectively respond to derogatory and inflammatory news stories through providing media resources and training
- Organising forums for journalists to interact with local Muslim communities ensuring greater access to the Muslim grass roots
- Working with other Muslim and non Muslim organisations to ensure Islamophobia is regarded as socially unacceptable as anti-Semitism and other forms of racism and xenophobia. We concur with the definition of Islamophobia contained in the OSI report, ‘Muslims in Europe- A report on 11 EU Cities’, that Islamophobia constitutes the “Irrational hostility, fear and hatred of Islam, Muslims and Islamic culture, and active discrimination towards this group as individuals or collectively”.
- Highlighting the work of journalists and other public figures that undermine social cohesion in Britain and foment anti-Muslim prejudice
- Encouraging voter registration and civic participation in British Muslim communities
Founder of MEND+
Sufyan Gulam Ismail
In 2014, Sufyan formally retired from full-time business activity to focus on philanthropic adventures with a key focus on tackling Islamophobia. To this end he was the founder of MEND which specialises in tackling Islamophobia via a dual approach of advocacy in Westminster and media engagement as well as improving media and political literacy of grass roots British Muslims across the UK. In 2016 he formally stepped down as CEO of MEND.
Head of Research
Shenaz Bunglawala holds undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in political science and has taught undergraduate courses at the LSE and King’s College, London and Religion and Faith in Humanitarian Contexts for the MSc in Psychosocial Consultation at UEL. Shenaz sits on the Research Excellence Framework 2014 expert sub-panel for Theology and Religious Studies and advises on various AHRC/ESRC research projects.She is a member of the Management Board for the ESRC Centre for Corpus Approaches to Social Science at Lancaster University. She is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts and a Trustee of the Muslim Media Forum. Her work has been published in books, journals and periodicals.
Head of Community Development & Engagement
Azad has been a community activist for over 20 years. Azad has extensive experience working in a central government department in various roles. He is Chair of the Muslim Safety Forum and one of the founding trustees of the Civil Service Islamic Society and its former President.Azad is a member of Liberty and formerly a member of its National Council. Azad sits on the National Accountability Board for Schedule 7 Stops with the Police and Home Office. He is also a member of the IPCC’s Community Advisory Group and the Home Office’s Trust and Confidence Community Panel. He is a presenter on Muslim Community Radio’s flagship show Easy Talk and a presenter of Islam Channel’s Your Views on the News.
Hate Crime and Stakeholder Lead
Fatima has over ten years’ experience in community development and working in the voluntary sector, including over eight years of working directly with the Muslim community. She has developed and delivered a number of projects on hate crime and more specifically, on anti-Muslim hate crime, for the Department of Communities and Local Government.Fatima was vice chair of the Muslim Safety Forum (MSF) for 3 years and was an advisory board member of the European Muslim Research Centre (EMRC). Fatima has also worked on projects with Waltham Forest Council, British Transport Police and Surrey Police amongst other clients. Fatima is currently the Hate Crime and Stakeholder Lead for Mend co-ordinating all of its work nationally on recording anti-Muslim hate crime.
Community Engagement and Development team+
Yorkshire & Humber
Abdul Qudues Zafar
Abul Juwel Mahmud
Graphic & Web Designer
Online & Social Media coordinator
Administrative and support staff+